Pioneering the Construction of Green Buildings
Over the years, PPC has developed a reputation as a leading player in the construction of energy efficient buildings. Fueled by the Malaysian Government’s attractive incentives to those opting to go green, the Group will leverage on our proven expertise and strong track record to grow our business in this segment.
To-date, PPC has recorded more than RM2.0 billion worth of sustainable building projects that conforms to various international green building ratings such as Malaysia’s GreeBuildingIndex , USA’s LEED and Singapore’s Green Mark.
Introducing Our Green Construction Project Portfolio (to retain the existing copy in PPC profile)
The following are several landmark buildings in our portfolio which have won awards and accolades for their innovative, trend-setting architecture and construction.
- The LEO Building (Energy Efficiency)
- The GEO Building (GBI Certified)
- The Diamond Building (GBI Platinum, Green Mark Platinum)
- Menara Felda (GBI Certified)
- The Head Office of Sarawak Energy Berhad (GBI Silver)
- Menara PjH (GBI Gold)
- Integra Tower (LEED Platinum)
- AraGreens Residences (GBI Certified, Green Mark Gold+)
- Manipal International University (LEED Platinum)
- Jing Si Foundation Malaysia’s Jing-Si Hall (GBI Gold)
- Horizon Residences (GBI Certified)
Design & Build
PPC had pioneered the Design & Build methodology during its early days of constructing iconic buildings in Putrajaya. Acknowledging the great opportunity in optimizing resources for the designing and construction services under a single contract, PPC embarked on this delivery system and propelled the company ahead of its competitors in the industry. Currently, PPC had delivered more than 40% of its portfolio on Design & Build contracts.
The Design & Build Advantages:
- Faster Delivery - collaborative project management means work is done more efficiently which enables faster completion and fewer problems.
- Cost Savings - thanks to a more efficient planning and execution process by an integrated team, wastage is minimized thus lowering operating cost.
- Better quality - design-builders are singularly accountable for the entire performance (including cost, timing and outcome of the project), not just meeting minimum design requirements, thus often developing innovative solutions to deliver higher quality results than initially expected.
- Decreased Administrative Burden - project owners can focus on the project rather than managing disparate contracts from various parties involved in the project.
- Reduced risk - the design and build team assumes additional risk thus reducing the risk by the project owner.
- Reduced Litigation Claims - by closing warranty gaps owners virtually eliminate litigation claims.
- Higher Profit Margin - an integrated team is fully and equally committed to controlling costs.
- Decreased Administrative Burden - design and build streamlines communications between designers and builders.
- Reduced litigation between various parties involved in the project.
- Increased Market-share - an increasingly popular model to be adopted by clients thus making the builder a preferred service provider in the market.
PPC has also implemented the Building Information Modeling (“BIM”) company-wide which will amplify our expertise in Design & Build to a new phase. BIM is an application to improve the coordination and integration of the architectural, structural, and M&E design processes of a construction project.
This software enables builders to create a 3D database model of the entire construction workflow that can help to improve collaboration and coordination within the various construction stages.
It is able to design workflow processes, detect clash in schedules and resources, and document the entire process to better account for time and resources usage. This system also provides a graphic time-cost analysis and workflow simulation of the entire project life-cycle. PPC believes that with such a system, it will be enable the company to save time and money, increase productivity and quality.
The completion of construction projects in a timely manner is often a critical factor and measure of project success. PPC has over the years developed an efficient and effective project management process to ensure its products are of value for money by completing its projects on time, within budget and to a level of quality that meets the set expectations.
To meet this requirement of timely delivery, PPC had in place the following strategies:
PPC has incorporated the Building Information Modeling (BIM) into its project management framework to ensure time and cost efficiency in all its projects. BIM is a process of generating and managing building data during the development life cycle. Typically, this model uses three-dimensional, real-time, dynamic building modeling software to increase productivity in building design and construction. The software will then produces the model, which encompasses building geometry, spatial relationships, geographical information, and the quantities and properties of building components. By utilizing BIM, PPC has the ability to save project time and cost and increase overall productivity of construction and delivery of building projects with less rework, design, and construction errors.
PPC practices stringent schedule management to avoid missing deadlines for delivery of key project components is a key objective of schedule management. PPC’s comprehensive project scheduling based on an S-curve construction model will identify all of the project's stages, phases, and activities assigned to each team member, and mapping them to a timeline that measures key dates that are used to keep track of work-in-progress. Schedule management interfaces directly with scope, cost, and quality management and team member roles and activities are defined, coordinated, and continually monitored in its routine project management meetings. It is the goal of every project manager to look for efficiencies in all of these areas as a project progresses and ensure delivery of its products as scheduled.
Quality control starts with matching expectations of quality levels with budget and scope during planning and design reviews, and continues on to a program of inspections, tests, and certifications, in the delivery phase.
PPC ensures smooth delivery of high quality services and products through an integration of various quality management systems, such as ISO 9001 Quality Management System and ISO 14001 Environmental Management System, and our own OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
Complimenting this is the company’s 5-S accreditation by SIRIM and International 5S Organisation for our good housekeeping and safety management practices.
We also continuously benchmark our work against the Construction Quality Assessment System (“CONQUAS”) developed by the Building and Construction Authority (“BCA”) of Singapore as well as the Quality Assessment System in Construction (“QLASSIC”) and the Safety and Health Assessment System in Construction (“SHASSIC”) developed by the Construction Industry Development Board Malaysia (“CIDB”) to ensure high quality workmanship in all our projects in all stages of our projects.